AH Formatter can now produce a SVG output compliant to W3C Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) 1.1 specification. Also, it can output SVG Tiny and SVG Basic in the Mobile SVG Profiles defined by the SVG 1.1 specification.
Mobile SVG Profiles are the specifications for mobile computing devices or cellular phones which have restrictions in the throughput of the hardware, the memory capacity and the number of colors that can be displayed. Since SVG Tiny is for the hardware with the most restrictions, like a cellular phone, it may contain a lot of elements that are not supported or may have restrictions. Therefore, the reproduction level of the original document before transformation may be low.
SVG Basic is for more high-efficient pocket devices, such as high-efficient PDA, and has fewer restrictions than SVG Tiny. See also Mobile SVG Profiles for more details.
AH Formatter outputs SVG Tiny and SVG Basic on the basis of the output for SVG 1.1 by disregarding the unsupported elements. SVG samples and test suite are available here.
With SVG Output, there are three methods for handling images. These methods can be specified with the Command-line Interface or the Option Setting File, etc.
Raster images are embedded in SVG as Base64 encoding. Vector images are outputted as SVG.
Images are linked using the URI of the link origin without change.
- Copying and linking
Images are copied to the place where they are specified and are described as a link there. The copy destination can be specified by image-uri, etc. in Option Setting File.
There are two types of images in FO.
- Images by external reference
Images are referenced externally by <fo:external-graphic> or <img> of HTML.
- Images embedded
Images encoded by Base64 using the data scheme by <fo:external-graphic> or <img> of HTML is embedded, or the images are embedded in FO by <fo:instream-foreign-object>.
All the images referred by outputted SVG are converted into JPEG or PNG or SVG.
In SVG Tiny, many elements are not supported, so the reproduced output may not match the original document. AH Formatter tries to match the original by substituting elements that are not supported with ones that have similar properties. The following are the main restrictions of SVG Tiny.
- An MS Office document may contain hidden data that will appear in the SVG Tiny output. For example, data that is hidden by an image in the Office document will appear in SVG Tiny because clipping is not supported by SVG Tiny.
- SVG Tiny does not support fills that contain gradation. It will be replaced with solid color.
- SVG Tiny does not support writing mode. When a document contains vertical writing, the position for every character will be specified. For this reason, the size of the document may become larger than the one outputted by SVG 1.1.
- Many SVG Tiny viewers do not support the rotation of characters. It will be ignored there are rotated characters in the MS Office document.
|Type of license||Price|
|AH Formatter SVG Output Option for Standalone||$200|
|AH Formatter SVG Output Option for Server||$2,000|
- After getting AH Formatter, a user can purchase SVG Output Option as an option.
- AH Formatter SVG Output Option is designed to work with a product version of the AH Formatter product. SVG Output Option cannot be used alone.
- AH Formatter SVG Output Option can only be installed and used on a computer of the registered licensee.