XSL Formatter INX Option works with XSL Formatter and outputs INX (InDesign® Interchange) files.
INX is the XML file that is used to interchange between InDesign® and its older version, or other products such as InCopy®, Golive®. INX format keeps all of the InDesign® objects and properties as XML elements or attributes. AH Formatter generates INX files from the Area Tree, which is the file format before it is finally converted to INX.
By outputting INX files, you can edit the formatting result of AH Formatter using InDesign®.
You can edit contents or output PDF using InDesign® functions.
In InDesign®, the object that holds text is called “text frame”. There are 3 methods in creating text frames with the INX Output Option. Users can specify it at output time.
- Text Area Output Mode
This mode generates text frames from the text area. The text area corresponds to the fo:inline in XSL-FO. This mode converts the closest to the formatting result of AH Formatter. Sometimes the different decorated successive inline areas are divided into plural text frames in INX output. Therefore, it is difficult to edit after the INX conversion using InDesign® in this mode.
- Line Area Output Mode
This mode generates text frames from the line area. The line area corresponds to the each line generated from fo:block in XSL-FO. This mode enables line editing more easily than Text Area Output mode, but conversions are not as precise compared to Text Area Output mode.
- Block Output Mode
This mode generates text frames from the block area. The block area corresponds to the fo:block in XSL-FO. In this mode, editing is easier than the two previous modes, but conversions are not as precise.
Comparisons of the three conversion modes in terms of layout reproduction and editing capabilities:
- Layout Reproduction
Limited– Block Output < Line Area Output < Text Area Output –Good
- Editing Capabilities
Limited– Text Area Output < Line Area Output < Block Output –Good
- Texts and images in the table cell are converted as InDesign® anchor objects and the conversion mode is fixed to Text Area Output mode in the table cell.
- Due to the difference of character placement between AH Formatter and InDesign®, text overflow in a cell frame may occur.
- Border styles other than double, dash, dotted, dot-dash, dot-dot-dash are assumed solid.
- Borders other than table cell are implemented by using line tool.
- Border assignment for fo:table is ignored.
- A diagonal rule is effective for table cell only.
- A radiused rule is not supported and will be converted into square rule.
- About the graphic, because the graphic size cannot be correctly converted into INX, user must resize the graphic object by hand on InDesign®.
- Supported raster graphic formats are BMP, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF and supported vector graphic formats are WMF, EMF, EPS. Vector graphics such as SVG, MathML, CGM, Excel Chart are not supported. As the PDF is rasterized at reading INX on InDesign®, the graphic quality degrades.
- INX output does not support background-repeat=”repeat”.
- Graphic files are embedded into INX file.
- Due to the difference of character placement between AH Formatter and InDesign®, the text frame cannot hold all of the text. In this case, user must enlarge the text frame by hand.
- If letter-spacing is specified, the text frame is made by every character.
- if text-align=”justify” is specified in FO and the text contains U+200B, results displayed may differ between AH Formatter and InDesign .
- If non-existing fonts such as bolded MS-Mincho are specified in XSL-FO, it results in a warning error when InDesign® reads the INX file. InDesign will automatically replace it with an alternative font.
- Supported leader styles are double, dash, dotted, dot-dash, dot-dot-dash, dots, use-contents. Other leader styles are assumed solid.
- PDF book mark becomes unstructured.
- INX Output Option does not support crop region.
- INX Output Option does not support document information.
- INX Output Option does not support annotation.
- INX Output Option does not support ICC Color Profile.
- INX Output Option does not support complex script language such as Hebrew, Arabic, Thai.
- If a line has a line number (axf:line-number), the output mode is fixed to Text Area Output mode.
- If both the upper line and under line is specified at the same time, the under line takes the precedence. (Because in InDesign®, upper line is part of the under line.)
- If text and graphic exists in one line, the output mode is fixed to Text Area Output mode.
- XSL-FO can define multiple page size master in one document, but InDesign® cannot do it. INX Output Option adopts the first used page master when it outputs the INX file.
|Type of license||Price|
|AH Formatter INX Output Option for Standalone||$300|
|AH Formatter INX Output Option for Server||$1,000|
- A license of XSL Formatter V4.3 or later is required to use INX Output Option.
- After getting AH Formatter, a user can purchase INX Output Option as an option.
- AH Formatter INX Output Option is designed to work with a product version of the AH Formatter. INX Output Option cannot be used alone.
- AH Formatter XPS Output Option can only be installed and used on a computer of the registered licensee.